20 - General Supervisory Review by the Director of USPTO of a decision by a Director of the Technology Center
Reviewing Office: The Office of Petitions
Deciding Official: Deputy Commissioner for Patent Examination Policy
In general, these are the steps to follow for filing a Petition for General Supervisory Review by the Director:
- Petition must explicitly seek a review by the Director of USPTO of the decision by a Director of the Technology center
- Petition must Identify and Explain how, in Petitioner’s view, the specific Rules, Statute or Guidelines in MPEP have not been adhered to in the decision by a Director of the Technology center that is to be reviewed.
- Petition must clearly set forth the specific relief sought.
- Petitioner should note that under 37 CFR 1.181(f):
- The mere filing of a petition under 37 CFR 1.181 will not stay any period for reply that may be running against the application, nor act as a stay of other proceedings.
- Any petition under 37 CFR 1.181 not filed within two-months of the mailing date of the action or notice from which relief is requested:
- may be dismissed as untimely, except as otherwise provided.
- This two-month period is not extendable.
- No Petition fee is required.
How to File:
- This petition may be filed using any of these delivery methods.
For the relevant patent laws and rules applicable to Petition for General Supervisory Review by the Director, please see:
No form available. Submit a signed request that includes information listed in Requirements of a Petition.
For further assistance, please contact the Petitions Help Desk between 8:30 AM - 5 PM (EDT).