U.C. Berkeley Software Partnership Meeting
The United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) is pleased to announce the next Software Partnership Meeting on October 17, 2013, at U.C. Berkeley School of Law, Berkeley, CA 94720, from 8:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. Pacific Time (11:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. Eastern Time). Members of the public are invited to attend. The Partnership Meeting is an opportunity to bring stakeholders together to share ideas, experiences and insights and to provide a forum for an informal discussion of many topics specific to the software community.
Update as of October 15, 2013: Due to the large number of inquiries, the USPTO wishes to clarify that the Office will proceed with the Software Partnership Roundtable on October 17, 2013 at U.C. Berkeley School of Law.
DATE AND LOCATION: The Partnership Meeting will be held on Thursday, October 17, 2013, from 8:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. Pacific Time (11:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. Eastern Time) at the U.C. Berkeley School of Law, Booth Auditorium, Berkeley, CA 94720. Parking and Transportation information can be obtained at:
Event number: 992 103 904
Event password: 123456
Event address for attendees:
Requests for Attendance at the Partnership Meeting:
Requests for attendance to the Software Partnership Meeting should be submitted by electronic mail through the Internet to SoftwareRoundtable2013@uspto.gov. Requests for attendance must include the attendee's name, affiliation, title, mailing address, and telephone number. Internet mail address, if available, should also be provided. The deadline for attendance requests was September 27, 2013, however, requests will still be taken if space permits.
Individuals will be notified by the USPTO of accepted requests for attendance no later than one week prior to the date of the meeting. Non-accepted requesters will also be notified by the USPTO. Space is limited. Accordingly, it may not be possible to accommodate all requests and only those with an accepted request will be permitted to attend. However, the meeting will be accessible live via WebEx. Access instructions will be posted on the USPTO Web site prior to the meeting.
In order to ensure a broad cross-section of attendees, the USPTO reserves the right to limit the number of attendees from any single organization or law firm. Therefore, organizations and law firms must designate their official representatives.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT: Seema Rao, Director, Technology Center 2100, by telephone at (571) 272-0800, or by electronic mail message at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The meeting topics will include:
- Feedback from the USPTO on the Software Partnership roundtables held in the Silicon Valley and New York City this past February;
- A summary of the written comments received in response to the Federal Register notice announcing the Software Partnership (78 Fed. Reg. 292 (03 Jan 2013));
- An overview of the White House Task Force on High-Tech Patent Issues executive actions;
- Proposed next steps by the USPTO in response to the public feedback and comments from the February roundtables and written comments, as well as an update on the USPTO’s efforts on the White House executive actions; and
- An interactive discussion session on tightening functional claiming by improving claim clarity by exploring the feasibility of using glossaries in patent applications, as one possible strategy, and the possibility of evaluating the use of glossaries through a pilot examination program.
Input and ideas from the public will be solicited. While public attendees will have the opportunity to provide their individual input, group consensus advice will not be sought.
Glossary Discussion at Software Partnership Meeting - Thursday, October 17, 2013
The United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) is discussing the usage of glossaries in patent applications at the Software Partnership Meeting in Berkeley on October 17, 2013. As part of that discussion, the USPTO is polling stakeholders regarding their experiences with glossaries. Stakeholders participating in the Partnership Meeting via WebEx may complete the poll electronically by accessing the polling form here and then submit it via (i) electronic mail address to: SoftwareRoundtable2013@uspto.gov; or (ii) postal mail addressed to: Mail Stop Comments—Patents, Commissioner for Patents, P.O. Box 1450, Alexandria, VA 22313-1450, marked to the attention of Seema Rao, Director, Technology Center 2100.
- VIDEO Part 1: Software Partnership Meeting 17 October 2013 (length 1:28:31)
- VIDEO Part 2: Software Partnership Meeting 17 October 2013 (length 2:16:07)