Roundtable on the Written Description Requirement for Design Applications
The United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) hosted a roundtable event on March 5, 2014, to solicit public opinions regarding the written description requirement as applied to design applications in certain limited situations. Members of the public were invited to participate.
NOTE: This event has already occurred. The following material contains the original instructions for participating in the March 5 event:
Event Web Cast and Presentations
>> View Webcast Video of the March 5, 2014 Roundtable (FINAL)
Presentations (listed in the order as presented)
Registration is required. There is no fee to register for the roundtable, and registration will be on a first-come, first-served basis.
To register, please send an e-mail message to DesignRoundtable2014@uspto.gov and provide the following information:
- your name, title, and if applicable, company or organization, address, phone number, and e-mail address
- whether you wish to attend in person or via Web cast
- if you wish to make an oral presentation at the roundtable, which of the topics identified in section III of the Federal Register notice will be addressed and the approximate desired length of your presentation.
Deadline for requesting to present at the roundtable: February 14, 2014
Deadline for submitting copy of presentation (if selected as a speaker): February 26, 2014
For further registration information, please see the Federal Register notice.
Web Cast Information
The roundtable will be webcast. Registration is required. Details for the webcast are:
- Date and time: Wednesday, March 5, 2014, 1:00 p.m. EDT
- Event number: 997 896 617
- Event password: 12345
- Event address: https://uspto.webex.com/uspto/onstage/g.php?t=a&d=997896617
Any member of the public, whether attending the roundtable or not, may submit written comments on any of the topics identified in section III of the Federal Register notice.
Please submit your written comments to DesignRoundtable2014@uspto.gov.
Deadline for submitting written comments: March 14, 2014.
For further information on submitting written comments, please see the Federal Register notice.
Presentation from Design Day 2013: "More About Written Description Requirement of 35 U.S.C. 112(a)”
- This is the PowerPoint from the presentation given by the USPTO at the Seventh Annual Office Design Patent Conference “Design Day 2013: Designs in the New Digital Age” (Design Day) held on April 23, 2013.
Illustrative examples of the proposed factors in the Federal Register notice
- These examples are provided to aid your understanding of the proposed factors.
- Additional examples to aid discussion at the roundtable of the proposed factors identified in the Federal Register notice
- Requests for additional information regarding registration and speaker presentations should be directed to:
Technology Center 2900
Telephone: 571-272-2200 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Requests for additional information regarding the topics for written comments and discussion at the roundtable event should be directed to:
Nicole Dretar Haines
Senior Legal Advisor
Office of Patent Legal Administration
Telephone: 571-272-7717 E-mail: email@example.com