All customers are encouraged to register so they are ready to use the full features of Private PAIR and EFS-Web.
For questions/comments or further assistance on any announcement, please send an e-mail to email@example.com or call the Patent Electronic Business Center at 1- 866-217-9197 (toll-free) or 571-272-4100 from 6 a.m. to 12 Midnight Eastern Time, Monday - Friday.
PAIR Availability: 23 hours x 7 days per week (unavailable 04:30 AM to 05:30 AM ET daily)
ADVISORY (10JULY2015) Due to emergency maintenance required on USPTO systems, access to Patent, Trademark and Finance’s electronic systems will be unavailable beginning 8:00 p.m. Saturday, July 18th and ending at 5 p.m. Sunday July 19th ET.
During this outage period, patent applicants may file new patent applications and documents and fees for national stage entry under 35 U.S.C. 371 via “Priority Mail Express®” from the United States Postal Service (USPS) in accordance with 37 CFR 1.10.
Patent applicants may file other documents or fee payments by:
- facsimile transmission to the USPTO Central Facsimile (571) 273-8300,
- first class mail with a certificate of mailing in accordance with 37 CFR 1.8, or
- "Priority Mail Express®" from the USPS in accordance with 37 CFR 1.10
Please note that filing of a new application under 37 USC 111(a), except reissue, design or plant applications, via Priority Mail Express® requires payment of the non-electronic filing fee (37 CFR 1.16(t)) in addition to the other required fees. The non-electronic filing fee is $400 ($200 for small and micro entities).
New patent applications, copies of the international application and basic national fee necessary to enter the national stage under 35 U.S.C. 371, and documents that are required to establish the filing date of an application (e.g., a missing drawing figure or page of the specification) cannot be submitted by facsimile transmission, and certificate of mailing procedures under 37 CFR 1.8 do not apply to these documents. Patent correspondence, including new patent applications and documents or fee payments, cannot be submitted via e-mail. Please contact the USPTO Inventor’s Assistance Center during business hours (Mon-Fri, 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM ET) at 1-800-786-9199 if you have any questions regarding alternative filing methods. Information regarding filing by first class mail with a certificate of mailing or by “Priority Mail Express” can also be found in the Manual of Patent Examining Procedure (MPEP), Sections 512 and 513, available on the USPTO Web site at http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/pac/mpep/index.html.
Applicants are strongly advised to transmit their electronic filings prior to the outage period to ensure that the submissions are correctly completed.
ADVISORY (22JUNE2015) In April 2015, Google Chrome removed the default ability to use the Java plug-in for browser version 42. This impacts your ability to access EFS-Web and Private PAIR because Java is required for your authentication into these systems. Currently, Chrome has a temporary workaround that will allow you to use the Java plug-in so that you can continue to log into EFS-Web and Private PAIR: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/6213033
This workaround will only work through September 2015, when Google Chrome plans to end their support for Java plug-ins with their newest browser, Chrome versions 45 and above. Therefore, Chrome users using version 45 and above will no longer be able to use the workaround and thus will not be able to log into EFS-Web or Private PAIR. Oracle is recommending the use of alternative browsers such as Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Safari. For additional information regarding Java and Chrome please visit https://java.com/en/download/faq/chrome.xml
Although the above browsers should continue to work with EFS-Web and Private PAIR, there is always a possibility that these providers may decide to discontinue support of Java plug-ins as well. The USPTO is closely monitoring for any changes, and is committed to keep the IP Community informed accordingly.
Furthermore, the USPTO is investigating if there are possible strategies to mitigate the impact. The Agency is working on a longer term plan to improve the overall authentication process. For USPTO updates regarding this issue please visit either of our Announcements pages:
- EFS – Web Announcements: http://www.uspto.gov/patents-application-process/applying-online/efs-web-announcements
- PAIR Announcements: http://www.uspto.gov/patents-application-process/checking-application-status/pair-announcements
If you need assistance with this matter, or have questions on any eFiling topic, please visit the Patent Electronic Business Center webpage for comprehensive contact information, FAQ’s, and other eFiling resources.
ADVISORY (17JUNE2015) Private PAIR is currently experiencing intermittent issues with the search functionality. Users are getting the message “Sorry, unable to process your request due to high system volume.” We are investigating and we hope to have a resolution soon. Sorry for the inconvenience.
ADVISORY (13Jun2015) USPTO Announces Enhancements to Private PAIR
Beginning on June 13, 2015, users will notice several new Private PAIR features that will allow users to self-administer a number of routine administrative tasks that previously required the submission of a paper form. These requests will be processed immediately. The enhancements include the ability to submit entity status changes, create new customer numbers, submit correspondence and/or maintenance fee address changes, and view saved or submitted requests. The Address & Attorney/Agent tab has also been enhanced to include complete information for correspondence address, maintenance fee address and power of attorney information.
Entity Status Changes
- Upon searching an application that is associated to your customer number, an “Update” link will made available on the Application Data tab next to the Entity Status allowing you to submit a request to change the entity status of the application. A record of the entity status change will be added to the Image File Wrapper and an entry will be added to the Transaction History tab. Users may notice that all applications are set to Regular Undiscounted entity status by default upon initial filing until the application completes formalities review. Once this review is complete, the entity status will be updated based on any assertion of small or micro entity status. For more information, please refer to the Entity Status Quick Start Guide linked below.
Create New Customer Number
- Found under the “PAIR Administration” menu, users will now have the ability to create a new customer number. Users will be able to enter address information, choose the preferred method of outgoing correspondence (Mail, e-Mail). Additionally, registered practitioners will be able to associate additional attorneys or agents to the customer number. For more information, please refer to the Create New Customer Number Quick Start Guide linked below.
Update Application Address
- Found under the “PAIR Administration” menu, users will now have the ability to update the correspondence and/or maintenance fee address of up to 20 application/patent numbers. Requests must be submitted by the Attorney or Agent of record who has been given power of attorney in the application. At this time, Private PAIR address changes are only available to registered practitioners. Other users will still need to submit address change requests through existing methods. For more information, please refer to the Update Application Address Quick Start Guide linked below.
View Saved and Completed Requests
- Found under the “PAIR Administration” menu, users will also be able to view previously saved and completed entity status change, new customer number, and address change requests. Saved requests will be available for up to seven days and submitted requests will be available for up to the past 90 days.
Address & Attorney/Agent tab
- The Address & Attorney/Agent tab has been enhanced to include complete correspondence address, maintenance fee address and power of attorney information. Links have been added to the top of the page for each type. Each page will include the address, customer number and attorney/agent information that is associated to the given application. If information is not available, data will not be displayed on the page.
ADVISORY (06MAY2015) Effective May 13, 2015, U.S. applicants will be able to use EFS-Web to file international design applications through the USPTO as an office of indirect filing. Learn more at the EFS-Web Announcements Page and the Hague Agreement resource page.
Upon filing, these applications will also be available for viewing in Private PAIR. In addition, the U.S. application file for a WIPO published international design application designating the United States will be available for viewing in both Private and Public PAIR.
>> More info
ADVISORY (11April2015) USPTO Announces Enhancements to Private PAIR
Beginning on April 11, 2015, Private PAIR users will notice the following new system enhancements:
e-Office Action Customer Number Search
In response to numerous requests from e-Office Action participants, we’ve created a dedicated search query exclusively for e-Office Action participants. A search can be completed for a specific date as well as a date range. Search results will match the daily e-notification and users will be able to search the past 90-days using a calendar function. The new search option can be found under the ‘Search by Customer Number’ menu.
For more information on the e-Office Action program and how to use the new search feature, please refer to the e-Office Action Quick Start Guide.
ADVISORY (24January2015) USPTO Announces Enhancements to Public and Private PAIR
Beginning on January 24th, 2015, PAIR users will notice the following new system enhancements:
- Assignment information (Assignments Tab) will now be available for all applications in both Public and Private PAIR. Previously, assignment information was only made available to Private PAIR users who were associated to the application.
Supplemental Examination Cases
- For Supplemental Examination cases, when the document, List of Items of Information – Supp Exam (SE.ITEM.LIST) is available in IFW, it will also be listed in the Reference Forms section under the Display References tab in both Public and Private PAIR.
Attorney/Agent Status Information
- Attorney/Agent information has been updated to accurately reflect current status under the Address & Attorney/Agent tab. If an Attorney/Agent is in a status other than “Active”, a “Not Active” label will appear next to the individual’s name.
Attorney Docket Number Search
- In response to user feedback, the Attorney Docket Number search has been relocated. The Attorney Docket Search will now be located under the Search for Application section in Private PAIR.
Advisory (08NOV2014): Beginning on November 8th, 2014, PAIR users will notice the following new system enhancements:
The Hague Agreement Concerning the International Registration of Industrial Designs ("Hague Agreement")
In preparation for the Hague Agreement taking effect with respect to the United States, the USPTO PAIR system is being upgraded to allow users to search for applications by international registration number once the Hague Agreement has taken effect with respect to the United States and this information becomes available. Likewise, two new related data elements have been added to the Application Data tab in anticipation of the Hague Agreement having effect in the United States.
PLEASE NOTE: Any data associated with international design applications will not be available in PAIR until after the Geneva Act of the Hague Agreement has taken effect with respect to the United States. Attempting to search for international design applications or data associated with these applications prior to that date will accordingly result in an error message being displayed.
Public/Private view indicator
- When viewing an application in Private PAIR, a new indicator is displayed on the Application Data tab specifying whether the user is viewing the application as a public user or a private owner.
Correspondence Address Customer Number always displayed
- The customer number assigned for Correspondence Address will now appear on the Application Data tab for all applications as well the Address and Attorney/Agent tab in both Public and Private PAIR.
PKI user name added to PAIR menu bar
- Private PAIR will now present the digital certificate holder's name on the Sign-Off Authenticated Session menu throughout the user session.
New Collapsible Menus
- Collapsible menus have been added to the Private PAIR search screen to improve the display of the various search options.
- Search for Application
- Search by Customer Number
- PAIR Administration
- The PAIR Administration menu has been added in advance of future PAIR functionality, which will allow users to self-administer some select administrative tasks.
Advisory (26SEP2014): The After Final Consideration Pilot (AFCP) 2.0 and the Quick Path IDS (QPIDS) pilot have been extended through September 30th, 2015. Please visit the Patent Application Initiatives webpage, http://www.uspto.gov/patents/init_events/patapp-initiatives-timeline.jsp for further information about these pilots. Check out the new features of AFCP 2.0 as well as learn about additional options for compact prosecution and increased collaboration between examiners and stakeholders.
Advisory (04AUG2014): The instructions for Private PAIR Publication Review Data Changes have been revised. Submitted requests that comply with the instructions will be entered into IFW and will be processed by the appropriate division. For detailed instructions, please click here.
e-Biz Alerts - Check current status, planned events, descriptions, operating requirements/compatibilities and standard hours of availability for online business systems
e-Commerce Patents Alerts - Receive up-to-date information, including news and system enhancements, regarding the USPTO Patents e-Commerce programs