Benefits of using the Electronic Filing System (EFS-Web)
- EFS-Web is safe. Filings made with EFS-Web provide you with the same legal protection as paper-based filings. You receive an electronic receipt and confirmation, as well as the ability to print the receipt for your records, affirming your receipt date.
- EFS-Web is simple. Even the largest and most complex patent applications can be submitted by attaching PDF files and filling out a few simple web screens.
- EFS-Web is secure. EFS-Web submissions are protected through state-of-the-art security methods, including Transport Layer Security (TLS), and if you sign up as a registered filer, Digital Certificates, one of the most secure methods now available.
- EFS-Web is fast. In just a few minutes and using a few web screens, you can submit a patent application, pay for your filing and receive an acknowledgment receipt.
- EFS-Web is flexible. EFS-Web requires you to make no changes to the tools, processes or workflows you use to author patent applications and documents. Filing with EFS-Web does not require you to learn how to use new authoring tools.
EFS-Web is forgiving. EFS-Web validates whether the PDF files and data you're trying to file can be accepted before they are submitted. If there's a problem, EFS-Web will tell you why the document can't be submitted - allowing you to take corrective action quickly.
EFS-Web Overview [PDF 3.6MB]
- EFS-Web Best Practices
- EFS-Web Reference Guide [PDF 1.68MB]
- Customer Number & Digital Certificates
- Associate your PCT application with a Customer Number[PDF 25KB]
- Security [PDF 1MB]
- EFS-Web Hardware and Software Compatibility [PDF 179KB] (7MAY2012)
- JAVA Settings [PDF 750KB]
- PDF Guidelines -Directions for creating PDF files that may be submitted to the USPTO via EFS
- PDF Creation [PDF 768KB]
Learn More about EFS-Web
- EFS-Web eForms (Fillable Forms)
- Document Descriptions [Excel, 177KB] (02AUG2013)
- Document Indexing - General rules for document description indexing
- PCT Indexing Guides
- Filing a New International Application Under PCT [PDF, 143KB] (22JULY2010)
- Filing a Demand for International Preliminary Examination [PDF, 149KB] (22JULY2010)
- Filing a communication (RO/US or ISA/US) [PDF, 150KB] (22JULY2010)
- Filing a communication (IPEA/US) [PDF, 148KB] (22JULY2010)
Quick Start Guides
- Quick Start Guide for EFS-Web [PDF 981KB]
- Quick Start Guide for EFS-Web Contingency [PDF 516KB]
- Quick Start Guide for EFS-Web ePetitions [PDF 997KB]
- Quick Start Guide for Quick Path Information Disclosure Statement (QPIDS) [PDF 573KB]
- Quick Start Guide for eTerminal Disclaimer [PDF 2108KB]
- Quick Start Guide for PCT [PDF 47KB]
- Quick Start Guide for Petition to Accept Unintentionally Delayed Payment of Maintenance Fee in an Expired Patent (37 CFR 1.378(c)) [PDF 190KB]
- Quick Start Guide for Petition to Make Special based on Age [PDF 669KB]
- Quick Start Guide for Pre-Grant Publications [PDF 199KB]
- Quick Start Guide for Supplemental Examination [PDF 2511KB]
- Quick Start Guide for Third-Party Preissuance Submissions under 37 CFR 1.290 [PDF 1918KB]
- EFS-Web 1.4 Training [PPT, 3.58 MB > [Free Viewer] - Comprehensive training on EFS-Web
- EFS-Web Training CBT (Video)
- Simulated EFS - Unregistered eFilers (Updated 25AUG2008)
- Simulated EFS - Registered eFilers (Updated 25AUG2008)
- What's New in EFS-Web 1.4 [PDF] ( 3NOV2008)
Legal Information and Guidance
- Legal Framework (06APRIL2011)
- PKI Subscribers Agreement [PDF 111KB](11FEB2013)
- EFS-Web ePetition Resource Page - Information regarding the automatic processing and immediate grant of ePetitions
- Quick Path Information Disclosure Statement (QPIDS) Pilot Program
- Prioritized Examination (Track 1) - Information about filing a Prioritized Examination including FAQs, guidelines, and other useful resources.
- eTerminal Disclaimer Page - Information about filing an eTerminal Disclaimer
- Full technical support for EFS-Web is available through the Patent Electronic Business Center (EBC) at 866-217-9197 (toll-free) or 571-272-4100 from 6 a.m. to 12 Midnight Eastern Time, Monday - Friday.