One initiative of the Software Partnership is the investigation and sharing of search strategies, and the improvement of tools and resources to evolve better techniques to identify prior art. Involvement of the scientific community in sharing best practices should help the USPTO identify the most relevant search resources and determine the best prior art for examination.
NOTE: Some material listed on this page may require a plug-in or viewer, available here.
- Comments received in Response to "Request for Comments Regarding Prior rt Resources for Use in the Examination of Software-Related Patent Applications," 79 Fed.Reg. 644
- Federal Register Notice: Prior Art Resources for Use in the Examination of Software-Related Patent Applications, 79 Fed.Reg. 644[PDF] [2013-31492] [TEXT] [PDF] (06Jan2014)
- Alexandria Roundtable on Prior Art (December 5, 2013)
- How to Conduct A Preliminary U.S.Patent Search: A Step by Step Strategy VIDEO
- Patent Search Resources Available Through the USPTO Web Site
- Patent and Trademark Resource Centers Materials and Services
- Prior Art Electronic Resources Available to Patent Examiners
- Prior Art FAQ [PDF]
- Scientific and Technical Information Center (STIC)
- Selections from the Manual of Patent Examining Procedure (MPEP):
For further information please contact us by e-mail or telephone:
Contact: Seema Rao,
Director, Technology Center 2100