Electronic Official Gazette - Patents (eOG:P) FAQ
The Official Gazette of the United States Patent and Trademark Office for Patents (OG) is issued every Tuesday and summarizes that week's patented inventions.
The eOG:P delivers the information traditionally contained in the paper version of the OG but in an electronic format on the USPTO web site at http://www.uspto.gov/news/og/patent_og/index.jsp or https://eipweb.uspto.gov/PatentOfficialGazette/
The last issue of the paper OG was published on September 24, 2002.
Patents are accessible by patent number, classification, a range of classes, patent type, and patentee name. There are also indexes by geographic location of the inventor, both by state and country.
Electronic formatting provides the following advantages:
- There is a comprehensive index of patentees in addition to the traditional individual indexes by patent type
- There are direct links to the patent from patentee names in the Index of Patentees
- Plant patent images have been added to the bibliographic record
- Changed text in Reissues is displayed in red
- Patentees by country have been added to the Geographical Index
- There are direct links to patents from state or country in the Geographical Index
- A user can link directly to the types of utility patents: general and mechanical, chemical, and electrical
- There is a direct link to the patent from a class or class and subclass
- The patent record can be easily saved or printed
Yes. By clicking on the "Full Text" button in the upper left corner of the patent record, you can jump to that patent in the full text database. If you are using the CD-ROM product, you must first log in to the Internet.
Yes. Click on the "Print this page" button in the upper right corner of the patent record to print the single page.
No. The eOG:P contains a section called Patent and Trademark Office Notices. Each week, the following information is published:
- Expired Patents: Patents that expire due to failure to pay required maintenance fees. These patent numbers are published approximately 3 months after expiration.
- Patents Reinstated: Patents reinstated due to the acceptance of a late maintenance fee.
- Reissue Applications: Patents filed as reissues.
- Reexaminations: Patents requested to be reexamined.
- Certificates of Correction: Patents granted certificates to correct previously published material.
- Summaries of final decisions issued by the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
Yes. The following are also published in each issue:
- Errata: Correction of erroneous previously published material.
- Service by Publication: Notification to cancel trademark registration within thirty days, pending appearance of a registrant, assignee, or legal representative.
- Registration to Practice: Names of individuals who have received provisional recognition to prepare and prosecute patent applications.
- Notices from the Solicitor's Office: Notices to the public regarding changes and updates in Patent rules and regulations and/or other patent-related items.
- Reclassification Reports: Lists newly established, deleted, or reclassified classes & subclasses, revised every 3 months.
Current plans are to maintain one year on the web site. To locate patents announced in earlier OGs, search the USPTO Patent Full Text Database by patentee name, keyword, current classification, or patent number.
Present plans are to have the eOG:P searchable by individual issue only. To search within larger time spans, search the USPTO Patent Full Text Database by patentee name, keyword, or current classification.
Yes. On the second Tuesday of each month, patents for license or sale are published in the OG. The current fee for this service is $25 for each published item. Interested parties may call Mr. Lamont Fletcher at (703) 756-1558.
Sale of the eOG:P is discontinued as of December 31, 2011.
Sale of the Annual Indices for 2001 through 2010 is discontinued as of December 31, 2011.
Yes. To order, contact the Superintendent of Documents, Government Printing Office, Washington, D. C. 20402, to whom all subscriptions should be made payable, and all communications addressed. VISA or Master Card may be used for telephone orders at (202) 512-1800 or visit bookstore.gpo.gov.
To view the PDF version of the Official Gazette - Trademarks on the USPTO web site, click here.
Contact us for more information:
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Electronic Information Products Division
RSQ - 5C00
P.O. Box 1450 Alexandria, VA 22313-1450
Phone: 571-272-5600 Fax: 571-273-0110 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org