I lost my original grant patent, can I get another?

The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office issues only one original grant copy of a patent to the inventor.  However, you may obtain a certified (blue ribbon and seal copy) by contacting the Certification Division at 800 972-6382 or (571) 272-3150.

On petition, the Office will create a replacement patent grant.  Applicant must file a petition under 37 CFR 1.182, with a request for a replacement patent grant and a statement that the original patent grant was lost or stolen.  The current petition fee set forth in 37 CFR 1.17(f) (fee code 122) should also be provided.  Petitions under 37 CFR 1.182 are treated by the Office of Petitions.  The telephone number for the Office of Petitions is (571) 272-3282.

USPTO FAQ - Questions and Answers (26MAR2007)