About the initiative
All in STEM is an initiative by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office to encourage women at all stages – from girls to entrepreneurs – to pursue STEM degrees and work in STEM careers for the benefit of our economy and society. Follow us on Twitter with #ALLinSTEM.
Women's Entrepreneurship Symposium, May 26-27, in Wilmington, DE
- "How we're inspiring inventors and entrepreneurs" - Des Moines Register, February 19, 2016
- "U.S. patent director launches 'All in STEM' campaign" - USA Today, November 24, 2015
Selected speeches on diversity in STEM
- Million Women Mentors Senate Luncheon – Remarks by Director Lee on March 15, 2016.
- South by Southwest Interactive Festival - Remarks by Director Lee on March 12, 2016.
- Iowa STEM Day - Remarks by Director Michelle Lee on February 19, 2016.
- "Invention - Does Gender Matter" Roundtable at the University of Texas in Dallas - Remarks by Director Michelle Lee on November 10, 2015. (watch video)
- Grace Hopper Celebration for Women in Computing - Remarks by Director Michelle Lee on October 16, 2015
- Million Women Mentors Summit and Gala - Remarks by Director Michelle Lee on Sep 21, 2015
- Graduation of Girls who Code at Georgetown University - Remarks by Director Michelle Lee on Aug 12, 2015
- Columbia Global Centers – Remarks by Director Michelle Lee in Beijing, China on May 25, 2015
- Swearing in at South by Southwest – Remarks and Video of Director Michelle Lee on March 13, 2015
- Women, Minorities, and Persons with Disabilities in Science and Engineering – National Science Foundation (2015)
- Girls in IT Facts - National Center for Women in Information Technology (2012)
- Generation STEM: What Girls Say about Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math – Girl Scouts (2012)
- STEM: Good Jobs Now and For the Future – Economics & Statistics Administration (2011)
- Why So Few? Women in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics – American Association of University Women (2010)
USPTO women in STEM profiles
"...STEM education begins at home. Parents should encourage girls to be interested in math, science, and engineering and schools should reinforce the importance of STEM…
"...my parents instilled in me a sense of duty to make this a better world for myself and everyone around me. I could not have picked a more fulfilling way than to help…
"Seek out mentors and relationships with people who are likeminded and, perhaps more importantly, with people who see and approach things in a different way from…
"Take an active interest in someone and be a mentor. Or on the flipside, ask someone you respect and admire to mentor you. We are all accountable for and responsible…
"Diversity is key to success. It leads to stronger teams and better products and services by expanding the pool of available viewpoints and ideas from which to…
“My job at the USPTO enables me to instill the idea of entrepreneurship and innovation in others, and help students recognize the tremendous potential they have to affect change.”
“I fundamentally believe that a diverse workforce is key to the success of any organization."
“Consistently do a great job. Cultivate a reputation as someone who has a high quality work product and a strong work ethic.”
"Keep your skills current! Put yourself in a position where you can learn and practice new skills on a regular basis."
Senior IT Program Manager
"Diversity is a way of life at the USPTO, and it’s not limited to ethnicity and gender. Diversity of thought is prevalent."
Search Business Program Coordinator, Office of Patent Information Management
"I love my boss...He has empowered me to lead projects and to lead people, which I never thought I’d do or want to do."
Financial Analyst, Office of Finance
"Math is not something that you run from…it is a lifeline."