Patent Trial and Appeal Board Tour Information
PTAB Tour Scheduling:
Tours are available to public groups not to exceed 15 guests. Tours are available by appointment only and will be scheduled once a month on the second Friday between the hours of 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM. Please complete the PTAB Tour Request form [PDF] .
Guidelines for Groups Visiting:
All groups planning to tour the Patent Trial and Appeal Board should review the following guidelines prior to their scheduled visit. The purpose of these guidelines is to ensure a safe and informative visit for all, while allowing the Patent Trial and Appeal Board to retain a professional atmosphere for the judges, attorneys and staff.
Please note the following security procedures.
- All visitors to the United States Patent and Trademark Office must pass through metal detectors. Please advise the security staff if you are wearing any medical devices which may be affected by this procedure.
- All adults (over 18 years old) must be prepared to show a government issued picture ID (i.e. drivers license, passport, etc.) during the security screening procedure.
- All backpacks, purses, and bags will be screened. To avoid a long screening process, do not bring any unnecessary items on your visit.
- It is extremely important not to bring any item(s) which may be considered a dangerous weapon onto the United States Patent and Trademark Office campus(i.e. firearms, explosives, pocket knives, chains, or any other potentially dangerous items.)
- Please keep personal possessions with you at all times. Do not leave anything in the hearing rooms or restrooms.
The Patent Trial and Appeal Board is an active place of business. Although there may not be hearing scheduled for the time of your visit, there will be judges, attorneys and staff working diligently to prepare for upcoming appeal and interference cases. Listed below are the codes of conduct to follow while visiting the Patent Trial and Appeal Board.
- Food and drinks are not allowed in the hearing area.
- Visitors are asked to present a professional appearance appropriate for a court environment.
- Visitors are asked not to touch any hearing room equipment.
- Tours will be limited to the Patent Trial and Appeal Board's hearing area. All visitors are asked to stay with the tour group at all times.
- Visitors are asked to keep noise levels to a minimum.
- Visitors are asked not to remove any materials from the Patent Trial and Appeal Board's hearing area.