Skip over navigation

Change Your Registration Information & Access Forms

Change of Address

As a registered Attorney and Agent, you are required to notify the Director of any changes of address separately from any notice of address change filed in individual patent applications. 37 CFR §11.11(a).

To change your home or business address you must notify OED in writing. There are two ways to do this. You may do this instantly on-line at


Forget Your User ID or Don't Have a User ID:

Registered practitioners may request a User ID and password for the on-line address change feature by sending a request over the practitioner’s signature to the Office of Enrollment and Discipline at:

Mail Stop OED
P.O. Box 1450
Alexandria, VA 22313-1450
Or fax to 571-273-0074.

Alternatively, you may change your address by using this form  Change of Address form

Back to top

Registration Status Changes (Agent to Attorney)

Individuals who are registered initially as a Patent Agent may later become registered as an Attorney upon becoming an Attorney. To change your registration status:

Obtain an original "Certificate of Good Standing" from the clerk of the highest court in the State where you have been admitted to the bar, duly authenticated and showing the seal of the court, and indicating that you are a member in good standing of the bar of the court.

Send your letter requesting the change of registration status, $100 for registration processing [37 CFR 1.21(a)(2)] and the Certificate of Good Standing within six (6) months of its issuance to:

Mail Stop OED
U. S. Patent and Trademark Office
PO Box 1450
Alexandria, Virginia 22313-1450

You may submit the $100.00 fee by credit card: see PTO/2038 - Credit Card Payment Form and Instructions

Back to top

Acknowledgement of Receipt by OED

Individuals who wish to receive an acknowledgment of the receipt of documents mailed to OED should include a self-addressed, postage-paid postcard to be used for this purpose.

The postcard should be addressed to you and identify each type of paper filed.

OED will stamp the receipt date on the post card and place it in the outgoing mail to you.

Back to top

United States Patent and Trademark Office
This page is owned by Office of General Counsel.
Last Modified: 9/19/2013 5:12:28 PM