Washington - The United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) today continued to expand its public outreach efforts with the launch of an online Subscription Center. The Center enables the public to easily subscribe via e-mail to an array of USPTO newsletters and alerts. The hub can be found on the USPTO website at www.uspto.gov/subscribe.
"We are committed to transparency, which includes providing a convenient way for the public and our stakeholders to receive information about the agency's initiatives and provide us with feedback," said Under Secretary of Commerce for Intellectual Property and Director of the USPTO David Kappos.
The Subscription Center is the latest in a series of new communication tools introduced under Kappos' leadership. Since his swearing-in in August 2009, the USPTO has:
- Started a "Director's Forum" blog where USPTO senior leaders introduce and comment on topics and issues related to agency initiatives, the protection of intellectual property, and conducting business with the USPTO.
- Established a social media presence on Facebook and Twitter to engage the public and the intellectual property community directly and provide real-time information.
- Initiated a bi-monthly "Inventors Eye" newsletter with information specifically for independent inventors.
- Launched an online dashboard to communicate metrics such as patent pendency and other key measurements, updated on a monthly basis.
- Implemented feedback channels to solicit public input on new initiatives.
The public can currently sign up to receive press releases, "Director's Forum" blog posts, new issues of "Inventor's Eye," a new monthly recap of recent USPTO activities, as well as other patent and trademark alerts.
The USPTO continues to examine additional means and channels to connect with the public. In addition to the blog, dashboard, and feedback channels found at www.uspto.gov, the USPTO can also be found on Facebook at www.facebook.com/uspto.gov and Twitter at www.twitter.com/uspto.